Monday, March 25, 2019

To be brave or not to be brave


BE brave….What does that mean to you? 


I have been sick to my stomach terrified for the last 7 weeks. I’ll get to that later. Don’t worry Jonah is fine.



I went to Kirsten Gillabrand’s kick off presidential rally today, in an attempt to distract myself from my nightmares. Kirsten held her rally underneath the Trump Tower at 60th st and Central Park West. Just for that I had to go, but seriously I did want to hear what she had to say. What better way than to hear it in person. 

I arrived early assuming the place would be mobbed. I was surprised that I was able to walk right up to the front of the stage. Kirsten’s most prevalent running topics are: Gun control, Dreamers, LGBTQ, Sexual assault and Climate. To me these are no-brainers. I wanted to hear her underlying positions. 

A journalist from the Washington something or rather, it wasn’t the Post came up to me for a few questions. I had noticed the journalist making his way in my direction, he stopped and asked a female teenager some questions, she shied away. I looked at her mom, I swear it was Elizabeth Perkins and yes, I had to google her to find out what her name was.  The only movie that my brain could place her face in was the Flinstones Movie. 

The journalist asked me if I was going to vote for Gillabrand? I responded: “probably”.

Press: What does that mean probably?

Me: Well I don’t know yet, we only just got started.

Press: Do you like what Gillabrand stands for?: Gun control, Climate/Environment, Dreamers.

Me: Well of course I do, but who wouldn’t? What I want to know is where she stands on the needs of children with special needs.(I realized later that a lot of people wouldn't agree)



My response was something to that affect. I go into detail after I caught his interest.



You can’t start with: “Hi I’m Jill, my son is dying of an ultra-rare genetic disease, called Sanfilippo Syndrome specifically Sanfilippo Syndrome type C, which is under the umbrella of Mucopolysaccharidosis syndromes, MPS for short. My son, Jonah has MPS IIIC, you see there are 6 different forms of MPS and they all have subtypes, I think there are 20 forms of MPS in total. Jonah has MPSIII a.k.a. Sanfilippo Syndrome type C. MPSIII or more commonly known as Sanfilippo Syndrome which has 4 subtypes, maybe 5: A,B,C,D and sometimes E. I want Gillabrand to support federal funding to the NIH and FDA and support not bash pharmaceutical companies that aspire to create treatments for ultra-rare diseases.”



I’ll lead with: “Hi I’m Jill, my son is mentally impaired and I can’t find a public school that fits our needs.”



The opening speakers for Gillabrand were awesome. I was most impressed by the “dreamers”, both speeches were delivered by young women. They belted their stories of perseverance against all odds over the crowd of people all the way back to the Trump supporters heckling them. I wanted to be like these young women, their strength and drive to win resonated within me. I fed off their words. Gillabrand’s campaign theme is bravery. Be Brave. Brave enough to stand up for what you believe in to stand up for yourself. Or to stand up for those whose voices aren’t being heard.



I fear the worst I fear that Phoenix Nest will lose our NIH grant. This past fall Phoenix Nest won an SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research ) grant from the NIH (National Institute of Health). Among funding research, I was able to rent an office and hire a new employee. For the first time in 10 years I took a salary.  Jeremy’s tv series he had been working on ended. He has been home taking care of Jonah. It has been awesome having him home helping me. With Jeremy home I don’t have to wrap everything up at 2:30 to pick Jonah up from school. I don’t have to work the entire weekend to make-up for the work week. Jeremy absolutely loves being home with Jonah. For a few months our lives completely changed for the better. Jonah thrives on having us both home before bedtime.



I regret not putting more effort into finding a financial partner. I have been weak, it’s heartbreaking to be told time and time again: “Sanfilippo syndrome, especially type C is just too rare to fit into our pipeline.”



I took the easy way out and relied on the grants to float me along. Early February my co-founder, CEO and grant writer gave his resignation. It was hard to see my friend leave. I pushed him to look at an alternative to surviving off of grants. For those of you that have or had to live pay check to pay check you know how hard it is not knowing if you are going to be able to pay the rent at the end of the month. This is how I feel, with the exception that if I don’t pay the rent children will die, one of them being mine.



My CEO was also a primary investigator (PI) on our 5.6million dollar grant. The NIH is not pleased that he resigned and asked to be replaced on the grant. The NIH froze the grant until I find a suitable replacement. The NIH left PN with a small amount of funds, which has gotten us through February and most of March. Jeremy and I have had to make ends meet at the company with our savings.

 The NIH didn’t approve the first two candidates that we suggested and they are still reviewing the third candidate, I have been waiting for a response for three weeks now. I just now received word, that the NIH will have a response for me later this week. I think, well I assume that they will approve our latest candidate, I still can't help but to worry. If they do approve our new PI there will be strings attached. PN will most likely be audited right away and there will probably be more restrictions, demands, and timelines imposed on us. If we fail the audit, they could pull the grant, a little something else to worry about. Jeremy has been picking up work a few days a week and is now looking to go back fulltime. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.





Our Investigational New Drug (IND) meeting is planned for the 23rd of April. Our research and clinical team will be going to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) to find out what they think of our plans for clinical trial. With the grant funding, PN hired Srikanth Singamsetty as our Associate Director of Translational Science. Sri’s first priority was to write the Pre-IND for our MPS IIID ERT program, in the Pre-IND we lay out what we want to do in our clinical trial and we ask the FDA direct questions. After we receive the FDA’s feed-back we will address all their comments and then submit our IND package. Upon approval we will be allowed to have the clinical trial. Sri is now writing our IIIC PreIND letter. I have also scheduled a meeting in Manchester, UK with our gene therapy scientists and clinical team at Manchester’s, Children’s Hospital. We will start the planning of our IIIC trial. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my trip, Jonah finally received his MRI date, which is scheduled for the day after I would have arrived back from the UK. I’ll call in by video. Sri is still waiting on his Visa so that he can go in person. Sri isn’t a US citizen, he’s here on a work visa. In the US non-citizens have to apply for a travel Visa to leave the country. This process only takes about a month. Sri’s just trying to help save American lives. No biggie we can wait a month for approval to fly to the UK and back. That’s sarcasm.


What is it to be brave? I don’t feel brave, I’m terrified. Jeremy and I could lose everything. Jonah could die and we could go broke trying to create a treatment for our kids. I answered my question. To me to BE BRAVE is to keep going.

This is what BRAVE looks like. Parents of terminally Ill children, fighting for their child's life